Sunday, June 11, 2017

Is a single-payer system the solution? Universal health care | NWADG

Is a single-payer system the solution? Universal health care | NWADG

This NY Times piece is in a NW Arkansas paper! The country IS changing.

This uses the term "government health care". This is an example of language shaping the issue. There are many, including elected officials, who actually believe single payer universal health care is only the original British model where providers of health care would be employees of the government. The government needs to guarantee access to health care for all. Private insurance (the whole concept of insurance) was installed here between me and my doctor/provider of health care. I don't have private insurance for my local police protection, my local fire department, my local street repair & plowing, my local public school, our military, etc. etc. I don't want all our providers of service to become government employees (BTW - most who are do a great job). I do want private insurance as a part of our health care system to become a failed experiment of the past. It has done nothing to improve my access to health care and it has only succeeded in lining the pockets of very rich CEOs and shareholders. The US has the most expensive health care in the world with the worst outcomes. It is time to turn that around.

No comments: